University of Rhode Island
Faculty and staff at the University of Rhode Island, in collaboration with the School of Education, facilitate and provide professional learning sessions for educators in a variety of fields including:
• Reading/Dyslexia/Digital Literacy- small group inquiry-based workshops and large group presentations focused on effective ELA practices with and without technology, particularly those that foster comprehension, digital literacy, and personalized learning practices.
• LGBT+ Safe Environments- small and large group workshops for faculty and administrators focused on creating safe and inclusive learning environments for diverse learners (sexuality, race, gender, class, ability), the transition from high school to college, and small group development/team leadership.
• TESOL Bilingual/Dual Language- professional development workshops on the instruction of ELs in Online and face-to-face formats, as well as consulting to school districts on the topics of culturally responsive practices, establishing newcomer programs and curricula for newly arriving ELs and students with limited or interrupted formal education (SLIFE).
• GEMS-Net- engage teachers, school administrators, and the community in reform-based STEM programs. Teachers-in-residence and teacher leaders facilitate PD that prepares and supports in-service teachers with the knowledge and skills they need to teach a comprehensive STEM program articulated through the K-8 grade span.
• Computer Science- URI and Code.org have the following PD offerings: AP Computer Science Principles, Computer Science Discoveries, Computer Science Fundamentals, Intro to Computing and Data Science, and Intro to Cybersecurity as indicated on the CS4RI PD Matrix.
• Technology Integration- consultation with districts on one-to-one technology integration.
• Math- professional development workshops on instruction with a focus on inquiry learning in both hybrid and face-to-face formats, as well as consulting with districts and schools on research-based practices and problem-based tasks.
• Professional Development for Mentoring and Induction- workshops aligned to the purposeful on-going mentoring model and supporting the transition through phases of teacher preparation.
Small & Large Group Workshop Series
Presentations & Follow-up Supports
Online & Distance Learning w/ (a)synchronous Discussions
Consulting (Various Topics)
Evidence of Impact
Providers were asked to submit evidence of their organization's impact on educator and student outcomes. This data will help consumers of professional learning make informed decisions about which providers can meet your local needs.
Click on the icon to learn more about URI's impact from past professional learning experiences.